Spectacle bind helps limit pipeline leaks while it is under maintenance.
A spectacle blind consists of a spade and a spacer that are manufactured, for the purposes of the installation, in one piece. It is used as a safety device to isolate a particular section of piping or equipment when that section or equipment has to be inspected or taken out of service. It helps limit pipeline leaks while it is under maintenance. It is different from a valve in that the spectacle blind is considered a real isolation device.
During normal operation, the spectacle blind is mounted in the open position so as to allow the fluid to drain. If maintenance is required, the obturator should be turned to the closed position so that the flow of fluid is stopped. This rotation can be performed by bolting placed in the hole drilled in the fitting piece. The bolts must be loosened, some removed, and the spectacle blind will be turned in the desired position. The joints are then changed, the bolts can be reassembled and tightened.
Depending on the class of flanges and the desired size , we can offer you a solid spade or spacer rather than a spectacle blind.
- Standards: ASME B16.48.
- Mounting between flanges: ISO PN 2.5 to PN 420, ASME 150# to 2500#, others on consultation.
- Materials: Standard: stainless steel 304L / 316L, carbon steel and others depending on your application.
- Fluid: liquid, gas, steam.
- Diameter: according to the nominal diameter of the flange.
- Thickness: Calculated based on nominal flange pressure
- Working pressure: limited to the nominal flange pressure.
All types of faces: RF, RTJ, male or female fitting.
Our spectacle blinds are manufactured in France according to ASME B16.5 standards with certificate 3.1 upond request.
Any Questions ?
For more information or request a quote, please call us or contact us
via the contact form. We will get back to you as soon as possible.